Tools and Resources to Refresh, Revive, and Reenergize Your Faith
Today, nearly 70% of U.S. adults have a smartphone, according to a 2015 survey from the Pew Research Center. Nielsen, a global data and measurement company, found that Americans spend 60 hours a week consuming content across their devices. In other words, we live in an increasingly connected world and have more access to more content than ever before—which is good news if you want to get closer to God in 2017.
If you feel spiritually disconnected, there are countless opportunities for spiritual renewal in the digital age. Technology makes it easy to integrate faith into more aspects of your life. Podcasts, digital Bibles, and online Christian radio stations allow you to guard what you put into your heart throughout the day.
Here are some of our favorite tools and resources for renewing your spirit in the digital age.
Most of us have experienced moments in life when we wish we had our Bibles outside of church or home—and now we can. With a digital Bible, you can access the Word of God on your smartphone or tablet 24/7. But more than just a “portable” Bible, these apps offer so much more interaction and functionality than a hard-copy Bible.
Switch between hundreds of Bible versions and languages, highlight and save your favorite passages, follow along with daily reading plans, watch video clips, and share verses with friends and family through social media, email, or text. These are just some of the exciting possibilities with a Bible app installed on your smartphone or tablet.
If you don’t already have one installed, go to the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android) to find a digital Bible app that will allow you to keep the Word of God close at hand wherever you are and whenever you need it.
Podcasting has changed the way people share and consume information—and that’s no different for spiritually-inclined people like you. Christian podcasts cover a wide range of topics, including Bible study, church planting, evangelism, and revival. Some ministers also record their sermons and make them available as weekly podcasts so you can hear the Word of God and listen to inspiring messages about living your faith.
And if you already listen to podcasts, you can find entertaining programs like the ones you already enjoy in your free time. chart-topping Christian podcasts you might want to check out include:
- Deeper into the Gospel – J.D. Greear is an author, theologian, pastor of The Summit Church, and host of Deeper into the Gospel. This podcast delivers bite-size portions of previously recorded sermons for personal discipleship on-the-go. Each episode reflects the tenets that has made The Summit Church “one of the top 25 fastest-growing churches in America,” according to Outreach magazine: joy, reckless generosity, and audacious faith.
- The Relevant Podcast – Since 2002, Relevant has been the leading platform for Christian millennials living at the intersection of faith, culture, and intentional living. Relevant seeks to show how God is at work in the world through redemptive art like music, movies, books, and design. The podcast features in-studio music performances and interviews with creators of Relevant and influential believers like Ira Glass, Tim Tebow, and Dustin Kensrue.
- Pastor Rick’s Daily Hope – Join host Rick Warren for practical and applicable teachings from the Word of God that you can apply to important aspects of your life—marriage, children, spiritual growth, career, etc. Pastor Warren is a renowned author and one of America’s most influential spiritual leaders. He is also a prominent figure of the evangelical movement, and through his podcast he teaches listeners how to bring the Gospel to the whole world.
There’s no shortage of entertainment these days, but not all of it is meant to strengthen your relationship with God. Fortunately, Christian media isn’t hard to find.
- Christian Music – If you use one of the popular music-streaming services like Pandora or Spotify, you can follow Christian stations or playlists to fill your home or your commute with uplifting songs of faith. These services also make it easy to discover new artists or bands based on the artists and bands you already know and love. There are also radio apps that allow you to listen to Christian radio stations from around the country on your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
- Christian Movies – The Bible tells us to set our minds on things that are noble and pure, and that includes the movies we watch. You can find Christian movies on your typical streaming services like Netflix and Hulu, but there are also streaming services like Pure Flix that are dedicated entirely to family-friendly and wholesome entertainment that glorifies God and strengthens your relationship with the Holy Spirit.
- Christian Books – With the advent of digital reading devices like the Kindle, it’s never been easier to purchase, read, and interact with books. What’s more exciting today is that most smartphones and tablets have “e-reader” capabilities, which means you can download Christian books directly to your device and start reading anywhere, anytime.
If you want to refresh your relationship with God, the North American Mission Board (NAMB) offers some helpful resources in addition to the ones mentioned above. NAMB assists churches with evangelistic church planting to help fight back against lostness in North America. If you would like to help, consider making a gift to the Annie Armstrong Easter Offering (AAEO)—100% of which will support and train missionaries in North America.